Fast Facts about VITAS
Here are some facts and figures about VITAS Healthcare:
- VITAS has over 40 years of experience in hospice care and is the nation's largest single-source provider of end-of-life care.
- The name VITAS is pronounced VEE-tahs and is derived from the Latin word for "lives."
- 12,388 VITAS professionals provide care to approximately 19,137 patients daily throughout 14 U.S. states and the District of Columbia.
- VITAS is a Founding Benefactor of the Duke Institute on Care at the End of Life, the nation’s first comprehensive institute for the advancement of research, education and caregiving for those near death.
- The authoritative hospice text, originally published in 2002 and reprinted in 2011 as End of Life Care: A Practical Guide, was compiled by VITAS Chief Medical Officer Barry M. Kinzbrunner, MD, FACP, FAAHPM, with contributions by 19 VITAS clinicians—from physicians to chaplains, and every hospice discipline in between.
- VITAS has won the Trailblazer Health Award presented by the Rainbow/PUSH Coalition in recognition of VITAS’ ongoing efforts to expand awareness of and access to hospice services for African Americans.
- VITAS Healthcare provided $11.4 million in genuine charity care to hospice patients nationwide in 2018. This represents an average of 1 percent of our gross revenues—a ratio that few, if any, hospice providers can match.
- 3,168 trained VITAS volunteers provided 321,157 hours of care during 2018.
Last updated: October 2019