Join the VITAS Nursing Team
What’s it Like to Be a Nurse at VITAS?
Hospice nurses at VITAS have a unique opportunity to take the lead on patient care, making decisions that directly and positively impact each patient’s quality of life while also serving as valuable resources for patients’ families.
“VITAS stands by their values and their mission. They stand by us as employees.”
Hospice nursing is challenging work. But it is also personally gratifying, professionally rewarding, and conducted with the support of a collaborative interdisciplinary team of experts who are just as passionate about providing patients with the best care possible as you are.
Hospice nurses must have superior clinical and people skills to make an impact at VITAS—an industry-leading company and healthcare provider that puts its people first. We expect the best from our employees while supporting their growth and success.
As a hospice nurse with VITAS, you can expect:
- Mentorship and support from an entire team of hospice professionals—physician, aide, social worker, chaplain, bereavement specialist, and volunteer
- Control of your patient schedule, so you can see your patients when they need to be seen
- A mission-driven, fulfilling career dedicated to making a difference in the lives of patients with advanced illness
- A visible, collaborative management team dedicated to furthering your clinical expertise and realizing your career aspirations
- A caring culture that supports your professional growth with the resources you need to succeed in a safe, productive environment
- Tuition reimbursement to gain new skills or support a career transition to other positions and roles at the nation’s leading hospice provider
You May Also Like
VITAS Team Makes Korean War Veteran's Dying Wish Come True
VITAS interdisciplinary teams work together to provide the highest-quality physical, emotional, and spiritual care to patients and their families at the bedside. Unless, of course, they can be rink-side.
Available Nursing Roles at VITAS
With locations across the country and positions in variety of care settings, VITAS offers countless ways to find the right nursing role for you.
The admissions nurse is often the first person a hospice patient will interact with from VITAS.
Perfect for individuals with exceptional people skills, admissions nurses help educate patients and their loved ones on the benefits of hospice, consult with physicians, and ensure the transition to hospice is a smooth one.
Home Care Nurse
Home care nurses travel to care for patients wherever they call home, whether that is a home, an apartment, a nursing home, or elsewhere.
They play a critical role overseeing and coordinating a hospice patient’s physical and emotional well-being and are empowered to tailor their schedules and visits to patient needs.
Continuous Care Nurse
Continuous care nurses provide a more specialized level of care for patients with acute needs wherever the patient calls home.
By coming to a patient’s home to treat symptoms such as pain and shortness of breath, continuous care nurses help patients avoid being transferred to a hospital or other inpatient setting.
Inpatient nurses care for patients receiving treatment at a VITAS inpatient unit (IPU). They report to the same IPU each day to care for hospice patients who require a higher level of care than most at-home patients.
Possibilities for Career Growth for VITAS Nurses
At VITAS, our nurses are supported by present, approachable leaders who support their career growth.
Opportunities for advancement include:
- Team manager: As the leader of the interdisciplinary care team, the VITAS team manager oversees all patient care services, ensuring continuity and quality of care for patients. Team managers at VITAS may specialize in home care, inpatient unit, or continuous care.
- Patient care administrator (PCA): A member of the senior leadership team, the PCA acts as a chief operations officer, overseeing clinical, financial, and operational aspects for their region.
- Performance improvement specialist (PIS): An advanced, specialized role, the PIS plays a critical role in quality assurance, talking with patients and families and gathering data to ensure patients are receiving the best care possible.
- General manager (GM): As the leader of a VITAS region, general managers are charged with ensuring excellence in all aspects of their region. Multiple VITAS GMs got their start at VITAS as a nurse.
The possibilities are endless for committed, compassionate nurses at VITAS.
Here are some of the benefits offered to VITAS employees:
- 401(k) match
- Tuition reimbursement
- Life insurance
- Roadside assistance