Do Your Star Ratings Need to Improve?
Today we all share a commitment to transparency that allows patients to make the most informed healthcare decisions. However, we at VITAS® Healthcare understand that despite CMS’ re-assessment of the Overall Hospital Quality Star Rating on CMS’ Hospital Compare site, achieving a high star rating is still not easy.
VITAS looked at CMS’ Hospital Compare star ratings data and found a large commonality among those hospitals with lower star ratings: ED throughput is a major challenge.
Refer your patient to hospice care: Online | Mobile app | 800.938.4827
It is widely recognized that emergency department crowding can have serious consequences on quality metrics. ED crowding can result in longer lengths of stay, boarding of admitted patients, suboptimal nurse-to-patient ratios and higher rates of Left Without Being Seen (LWBS).
All of these negatively impact six of the seven star quality measure categories—that’s 96% of your hospital’s composite score.
- Mortality (22%)
- Safety of Care (22%)
- Readmission (22%)
- Patient Experience (22%)
- Effectiveness of Care (4%)
- Timeliness of Care (4%)
Partnering with VITAS to care for your high- and rising-risk patients improves your ED throughput, resulting in improved bed cycle management. This can lead to an immediate, positive impact on your star ratings.
VITAS can offer you:
- Expedited transitions of hospice-appropriate patients from the ED, alleviating congestion and improving workflow and HCAHPS® scores
- Assistance in identifying hospice-eligible patients who present to the ED with continued functional decline, thereby positively influencing the hospital’s 30-day mortality and in-hospital death rates
- Admission to hospice of higher-acuity, clinically complicated patients, such as those with end-stage cardiac and chronic lung disease, freeing up beds in the critical care unit
- Improved LOS averages and bed day reductions, positively impacting operating margins, including those in “high-touch, high-cost” clinical areas
- An interoperability system that interfaces with hospital and health system EMR technology to directly refer hospice-eligible patients with the click of a button
- Dedicated hospice admissions personnel equipped with iPads to facilitate rapid intake at the bedside
VITAS can offer your patient:
- An interdisciplinary hospice team—physician, nurse, hospice aide, social worker, chaplain, volunteer
- 24-hour access to VITAS staff who can answer questions and dispatch a team member to the bedside
- An average of five-plus visits per patient per week
- All home medical equipment, medications and supplies at no charge
Improve your star rating. Boost your ED efficiency and responsiveness. Expand your care transition options with VITAS.
HCAHPS® (Consumer Assessment of Healthcare Providers and Systems) is a registered trademark of the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, a U.S. Government agency.