How VITAS Healthcare Helps Hospitals and Health Systems
Refer your patient to VITAS: Online | Mobile App | 800.873.5198
VITAS Healthcare offers immediate solutions by effectively transitioning hospice-appropriate patients from a curative approach to a symptom-management approach. We understand your two-fold objective: maintaining high standards of patient care and retaining your full Medicare reimbursement. VITAS and our advanced chronic illness management services play a vital role in the care continuum, helping you effectively manage costs at every stage while achieving optimal outcomes for patients who are hospice eligible.
Hospital readmissions continue to be a challenge for patients, including those with conditions covered in the penalty-only Hospital Readmissions Reduction Program: heart attack, heart failure, pneumonia, COPD, total hip and knee replacements, and, as of FY 2017, bypass graft (CABG) surgery. The penalties incurred also affect the base DRG for discharges.
Utilizing a care management model that makes effective use of resources while focusing on the patient during varying stages of illness is imperative for an organization's success and survival. Hospitals now have to manage patients throughout the continuum from acute through post-acute networks. VITAS Healthcare is a strategic partner that offers proven, seamless care transitions for patients with complex needs.
What VITAS can do for your hospital or health system:
- Provide immediate hospice care to the hospital's highest acuity patients near the end of life
- Improve quality of life impacting patient and family experience in value-based payment (VBP) domains
- Assist in reducing readmissions, mortality rates, and use of intensive services
- Decrease length-of-stay (LOS) to improve emergency department (ED) throughput and boarding challenges impacting the hospital inpatient and outpatient core measures
- Support the hospital's core measures and quality indicators
- Enhance patient satisfaction and Hospital Consumer Assessment of Health Plans Survey (HCAHPS) scores
- Provide more palliative care options in lieu of aggressive treatments
- Form a seamless bridge between the hospital and the terminally ill patient's home
- Implement seamless interoperability solutions between VITAS and hospital referral systems
Hospital discharge to VITAS
When you refer a patient to VITAS, our patient-centered services enhance your hospital's ability to remain viable and competitive in an ever-changing environment. VITAS care transition support services include:
- Transitioning end-of-life patients to home
- An average of five-plus visits per patient per week from our hospice team
- 24-hour access to VITAS staff who can dispatch a team member to the bedside 24/7/365
- Shifts of continuous care in the patient's home, nursing home or assisted living community, when medically appropriate, until symptoms are under control
- Death attendance in the home by a VITAS clinician for 95 percent of patients1
Not every rehospitalized patient is hospice appropriate. VITAS works with your staff to transition hospice-appropriate patients with complex healthcare needs to optimal environments—within hours of their admittance.
1Data on file at VITAS, 2016.