VITAS Care Model for Advanced Cardiac Disease
What Does Hospice Treatment for Advanced Cardiac Disease Involve?
VITAS offers high-acuity care and complex modalities to manage even the most challenging symptoms related to advanced cardiac disease and congestive heart failure, including angina, agitation, shortness of breath, edema, fatigue, generalized pain, and nausea/vomiting.
The VITAS plan of care for advanced cardiac disease includes 24/7 clinical support and a home-based care model with visits by an interdisciplinary care team that provides clinical and psychosocial support to address the patient’s and family’s needs.
Complex Modalities for Advanced Cardiac Disease
VITAS has the resources and expertise to provide complex modalities in any care setting, including a patient’s home, nursing facility, assisted living facility, residential care facility for the elderly, or inpatient bed.
- Continued cardiac medications — including beta-blockers, ace inhibiters, vasodilators, and diuretics — support patients’ comfort even when cure is no longer the goal.
- High-flow oxygen therapy provides additional relief for patients who require respiratory support beyond traditional oxygen therapy.
- Inotrope therapy facilitates heart contractility to enhance quality of life.
- IV/Subcutaneous diuretics help patients maintain fluid balance to manage congestion and edema.
- Additional therapy services, such as physical, occupational, and speech therapy, help meet the patient’s unique needs near the end of life.
- Nutritional counseling advises patients and caregivers on diet guidelines that can assist with symptom management.
- Respiratory therapy from a licensed respiratory therapist supports the patient’s cardio-pulmonary care plan and goals of care.
- Ongoing support for patients with implantable cardioverter defibrillators (AICD/ICD) and ventricular assist devices (VADs).
Oversight by Dedicated Hospice Physicians
VITAS care plans are overseen by our 700+ physicians, more than 50 of whom are board-certified in hospice and palliative medicine.
They oversee integration with patients’ primary care physicians, home visits, goals-of-care conversations, specialist consults, medication reconciliation, and palliative care.
Home Medical Equipment and Supplies
VITAS maintains its own home medical equipment (HME) division, enabling 24/7 delivery of equipment and supplies to support the patient’s advanced cardiac disease or congestive heart failure care plan in their preferred setting.
The following supplies and equipment can be delivered to your patient in any setting:
- Oxygen, including high-flow, nasal cannulas, and tubing
- Non-invasive ventilation devices
- Nebulizers for aerosolized medication delivery
- Hospital bed
- Specialized mattress to prevent pressure sores
- ADL assist devices such as walkers and commodes
- Incontinence supplies
- Wound care supplies
If your patient with advanced cardiac disease is ready for hospice, VITAS is ready to help. Refer your patient to VITAS today, and you’ll hear from an admission specialist in minutes. We’re always available.