Commitment, Compassion, and a Can-Do Attitude: The VITAS Difference
Three pillars frame the everyday work experiences of VITAS employees as they deliver exceptional hospice care, collaborate with supportive teams, and maintain our professional standing as the nation’s leading provider of end-of-life care and an employer of choice.
Commitment, Compassion, and a Can-Do Attitude.
Those three character traits lie at the core of the VITAS Difference.
What can you expect from the VITAS Difference if you begin a career with us?
- Commitment: a vow to build trust and loyalty by maintaining open and persistent communication with patients and colleagues, and by following through on promises and expectations with team members, our patients, their families, our healthcare partners, and the communities we serve
- Compassion: a promise to demonstrate heartfelt support by listening carefully to others’ needs, honoring the precious moments that our patients and their families invite us to share, and treating everyone with empathy and respect
- Can-Do Attitude: a work mindset that embraces change and leads the way with flexibility, enthusiasm, and innovative solutions. Employees with Can-Do Attitude are VITAS brand ambassadors who understand that their work, behavior, and energy impact everyone with whom they come in contact
Behaviors that Make a Real Difference
They are also supported by the VITAS Employee Promise, five unifying factors—Purpose, Passion, People, Possibilities, and Presence—that motivate compassionate professionals to join VITAS and remain with us as we fulfill our mission to enhance the quality of life for patients and their families near the end of life.
Are you inspired to make a difference at work? Are you looking for a profession that invites and expects you to bring your true self to work every day for the benefit of your colleagues, your patients, and their families? Do you have what it takes to make the VITAS Difference?
Explore current VITAS job openings in 14 states and the District of Columbia and apply today.
You can make a real difference here.
Some of our open positions:
Inpatient Registered Nurse - PT Hospice (Nights/11:00P-7:00A/24hrs) Part-Time Blue Bell, PA 19422
Case Management and Supervision
- Follows VITAS policies and standards (See VITAS Standards Manual) and practices within the scope of the RN license
- Reports any request to practice outside of scope of license to the manager/supervisor
- Supervision of (VITAS employed and contracted) nursing tasks delegated to Hospice Aides, Licensed Practical/Vocational Nurses (and contracted Registered Nurses) and Volunteers per the plan of care
- Completes initial and ongoing comprehensive assessments including physical, psychosocial, spiritual, and bereavement
- Appropriately identifies/utilizes resources, referrals such as PT, OT, Home Health, Dietary, Pharmacy, Supplies, Home Medical Equipment, and other visits/consults
- Completes documentation at the time of the event and at the location of care unless otherwise directed
- Provides education to patients, families, caregivers and referral sources
- Participates in patient care meetings as assigned
- Participates in weekly team meetings
- Provides effective communication/shift reports through written, verbal, reporting and body language
- Participates in bereavement support
- Participates in the on-call rotation and/or provides shifts during non-business hours such as evenings, weekends and holidays based upon program-identified needs
- Provides visits/shifts in program coverage area
- Develops, coordinates, and follows the patient's individualized plan of care
- Appropriately delegates nursing tasks to Hospice Aides/Homemakers, Volunteers, and Licensed Practical/Vocational Nurses
- All factors pertinent to the patient's safety, including the competence of the Hospice Aide/Homemaker have been assessed
- Determination that this activity can be delegated safely to a Hospice Aide/Homemaker
- Connecticut -For activities other than those listed in section 1913D69(d)(3)of the Connecticut Department of Public Health delegated to a Hospice/Homemaker, the RN will document in the clinical record that:
- Provides nursing care including nursing tasks that may be delegated to other roles such as LPNs, HHAs and Volunteers
- Participates in and monitors patient and family care compliance activities
- Professionally manages/coordinates the hospice plan of care
- Provides and follows infection control practices
- Delivers care in accordance with the patient's plan of care
- Provides primary nursing care for inpatient and continuous care patients as assigned
- Participates in the Quality Assessment and Performance Improvement (QAPI) Program and related activities as assigned. This may include, but is not limited to
- participation in Performance Improvement Project(s) (PIP)
- Gathering clinical data which is used for quality measures
- Develops and achieves professional growth goals and objectives personally and per Team Manager reviews
- Responsible for attending orientation and regularly scheduled in-services/educational conferences as assigned
- Participates in orientation of Hospice Aides, Volunteers and other IDG members as assigned
- Participates in training activities internally within VITAS and externally as assigned
- Maintains focus on the patient and family experience of care
- Serves as a patient and family advocate
- Reports patient/family/customer complaints to Team Manager
- Participates in patient/family/customer conflict resolution as applicable.
- Represents the nursing profession, the VITAS site/location and VITAS overall in a positive manner
- Currently licensed as a R.N. in the state where the VITAS program is located.
- A minimum of two years experience in hospice, home health, or community health experience in the last five years.
- RN license
SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS TO CANDIDATE
- EOE/AA M/F/D/V
Licensed Practical Nurse Continuous Care - Nights (FT) Full-Time Deerfield Beach, FL 33064
The Licensed Practical Nurse administers nursing care according to the plan of care to terminally ill patients admitted to the VITAS program, in accordance with the Nurse Practice Act in the state where the VITAS program is located.
- Provides direct skilled bedside nursing care.
- Evaluates patient /family needs in the preparation and executions of the interdisciplinary plan of care for each patient on the team and the effectiveness of treatments and monitors patients reactions.
- Performs selected acts in care of the terminally ill under the direct supervision of a registered nurse; such acts include the administration of treatments and medications.
- Participates in Nurse LPN on- call rotation/schedule in order to meet the needs of patients and families.
- Currently licensed to practice nursing in the state where the VITAS program is located.
- At least one year, preferably two years, of satisfactory nursing experience, at least one year of which is as an LPN/LVN in a hospital, hospice, home health, or community health setting.
- Graduate of an approved school of Practical/Vocational nursing
- EOE/AA M/F/D/V
Chaplain Home Care Full-Time Lakeland, FL 33815
The Chaplain is a member of the interdisciplinary team and focuses on the spiritual needs of patients, families, caregivers and staff, including volunteers. The chaplain provides pastoral care interventions, including pastoral counseling, which are determined by spiritual assessment, the specific setting and sensitivity to a variety of values, beliefs and religious orientations. The chaplain seeks excellence in pastoral care, which requires authentic demeanor, compassion and skill in dealing with the spiritual dynamics of illness, loss and death.QUALIFICATIONS
- Qualified candidates must have Ordination or Commission to function in a ministry of pastoral care and has received the endorsement of and is in good standing with his/her body of faith.
- Five years of pastoral experience preferred - two in a clinical setting.
- A minimum of 1 unit (400 hours), preferably two (2) or more, of Clinical Pastoral Education (CPE) accredited by one of the following: Association for Clinical Pastoral Education, National Association of Catholic Chaplains or the Canadian Association for Pastoral Practice and Education.
- Equivalencies to CPE may include one of the following: Evidence of clinical pastoral educational experience that includes supervision of ministry, peer group participation and theological reflection; AAMFT, AAPC, or AMHC certification; or DMin or other accredited graduate degree in pastoral care.
- Knowledge and skill in dealing with spiritual dynamics of illness, loss and death.
- Ability to function as a member of an interdisciplinary team.
- Commitment to professional growth and development.
- Bachelor's degree required from an accredited institution.
- Master's of Divinity or equivalent graduate degree from an accredited (ATS) seminary or theological school required.
- EOE/AA M/F/D/V
Home Health Aide Home Care Full-Time Lakeland, FL 33815
The Certified Home Health Aide is a non-exempt employee trained to provide personal care and services to the terminally ill to augment that care given by family members. Functions under the direct instruction and supervision of the VITAS nurse and/or the VITAS Team Manager.QUALIFICATIONS
- Qualified candidates must have one (1) year direct patient care experience in acute or sub acute care.
- Good documentation skills required.
- Ability to travel per job requirement.
- Certification in your state required.
- High school graduate or equivalent required.
- EOE/AA M/F/D/V
Coordinator Admissions Full-Time Lombard, IL 60148
- Process new referrals that arrive by telephone, email, fax and website inquiries, in the manner best fitting the needs of the referral source.
- Responsible for routine follow up on multiple lists of pending patient charts daily.
- Enter accurate information to support data integrity and maximize reimbursement.
- Verify Medicare and Medicaid hospice benefits.
- Notify Managed Care Department of commercial insurances and managed health care plans.
- Notify the Marketing Representatives of each new referral outside of the working hours the Program Scheduler, 8pm-8am local time and weekends.
- Call patients and families and offer a same day appointment to ensure a timely admission.
- Seek assistance of the Program Scheduler to determine appropriate staffing and coverage for appointment needs during the hours of 8am-8pm local time, Monday through Friday.
- Explain hospice benefits and services to patients and families as needed.
- Assign appointments to VITAS Admissions Representatives and provide them with appointment report outside of the hours the Program Scheduler is working, 8pm-8am local time and weekends.
- Complete admission consent paperwork as needed.
- Update referral sources on the status of their referred patients when appropriate.
- Establish and maintain effective relationships with internal and external customers.
- Take report from VITAS Admissions Representatives and accurately document the outcome.
- Verify discharge plans and facilitate the delivery of Home Medical Equipment prior to discharge.
- Supports coworkers and encourages a sense of teamwork amongst peers.
- Provide training and mentoring to new team members as assigned.
- Other duties and special projects as determined by the department supervisor or director.
- Participate in morning check in meeting with the Program Scheduler to review staffing/scheduling needs for the day.
- Will support the VITAS Mission, Core Values, and Care Connection Center cultural platforms at all times.
- Two or more years related experience in medical terminology and/or in a call center environment
- Ability to attain goals in a fast-paced, dynamic environment
- Ability to exercise considerable judgment and discretion in establishing and maintaining strong partnering relationships with internal and external callers
- Superior ability to effectively communicate at all levels of the customer interaction to include both verbally and in writing to provide a concierge level of service
- Working knowledge of computers, internet access, and the ability to navigate within an automated systems and a variety of software packages, and type minimum 45 wpm
- Prior experience in working collaboratively with other functional leaders to drive action plans.
- Must be highly organized and able to manage multiple responsibilities and work on various assignments simultaneously
- Model positive behaviors that are focused on supporting: integrity, valuing diversity, innovation, building relationships, customer focus and teamwork.
- Ability to communicate tactfully with department heads, managers, coworkers and vendors to resolve problems and negotiate resolutions
- Ability to work weekends and holidays as necessary to support the operations of the Care Connection Center.
- Ability to type at least 40 WPM
- Bilingual in English/Spanish a plus
- Completion of high school or basic education equivalency required.
- Medical or business office education or training desired
- EOE/AA M/F/D/V