FAQs for VITAS Volunteers
Volunteering at VITAS is an immensely rewarding experience. Find answers to your questions about being a hospice volunteer. Then talk to us about joining our team.
- Who is eligible to volunteer at VITAS? Adults, young adults and mature teens can be VITAS volunteers.
- How does VITAS choose its volunteers? Once you apply, you are interviewed to make sure you are a good fit for hospice.
- What kind of person is best suited to be a hospice volunteer? How do you determine who has what it takes? Because hospice patients have unique end-of-life needs, VITAS seeks volunteers from all backgrounds, experiences and cultures.
- What is involved in VITAS volunteer training? Every VITAS volunteer receives free and comprehensive training before being assigned a volunteer job.
- What skills, talents or interests is VITAS looking for? Our volunteer positions run the gamut, depending on your passions and comfort levels with various activities and experiences.
- Why do hospices have volunteers? When hospice care became a Medicare benefit in 1982, written into the law signed by President Ronald Reagan was the requirement that community volunteers had to provide a minimum of 5 percent of total patient care hours. It is one of the things that makes hospice care unique in healthcare.