Hospice Aide Jobs: CNA and CHHA Jobs at VITAS
What Does a CNA or CHHA Do at VITAS?
At VITAS Healthcare, certified nursing assistants (CNAs) and certified home health aides (CHHAs) fill the crucial role of hospice aide on our interdisciplinary care teams.
Focused on the patient’s personal care, hospice aides:
- Help with patients’ personal hygiene
- Perform light housekeeping pertaining to the patient
- Act as the “eyes and ears” of the hospice team
The hospice aide role is a great entry into end-of-life care for compassionate individuals who seek satisfying careers and opportunities for advancement.
CNA and CHHA Job Description
“You have to be a really good listener, be caring and very dedicated.”VITAS Hospice Aide Angela Surratt
A certified hospice aide provides personal care in a patient’s preferred setting, whether at home, in a nursing home, assisted living facility (ALF) or partnered inpatient care setting.
The aide helps with bathing, dressing, grooming, oral/mouth care and light housekeeping, such as making a patient’s bed or tidying up the patient’s immediate environment.
Hospice aides provide some of the most intimate care to patients, and an aide’s daily responsibilities might shift with the patient’s needs. The ideal hospice aide is a flexible “people person.”
What’s the Difference Between a CNA and a CHHA?
While the CNA and CHHA designations are quite similar, they require different training.
- A CNA must complete a formal training program and pass a state exam. CNAs usually care for more than one patient in a variety of settings, including ALFs, nursing homes, patients’ homes and hospitals.
- A CHHA requires no specific background, education or experience and can be trained on the job by registered nurses (RNs) or licensed practical nurses (LPNs). CHHAs usually care for one or only a few patients at a time, usually in the patient’s home or retirement community.
What’s It Like to Be a Hospice Aide?
Little did Angela Suratt know when she was in school to become a CNA that she would follow her teacher into the field of hospice with VITAS. More than three decades after gaining her certification and Florida license, Angela is still helping VITAS hospice patients.
“This job is so flexible. It’s important to be a ‘people person.’ You have to be a really good listener, caring and very dedicated.”
The Benefits of Working as a Hospice Aide for VITAS:
As a VITAS hospice aide, you enjoy:
- Support from a team that focuses on patient-centered care
- The ability to make your own schedule, to see your patients when they need to be seen
- A company that stands by its values and supports your professional goals
Learn More About Working for VITAS
Contact Us About Open Hospice Aide Jobs
Please note: this is not a formal application. Start here to submit a full application.