VITAS Inpatient Hospice Unit at
St. Mary’s Hospital
56 Franklin St
Waterbury, CT 06706
Partners in Hospice Care
VITAS is the nation’s leading hospice provider, with more than 30 years of hospice experience. We are proud to have Saint Mary’s Hospital as our host and partner in providing this inpatient hospice unit to the community.
VITAS worked with Saint Mary’s and many local companies and services to create this specialized setting.
Managing Life-Limiting Illness
When hospice patients need care beyond what can be managed at home, the VITAS inpatient hospice unit provides the inpatient level of care to stabilize symptoms.
In a homelike setting, our responsive and compassionate interdisciplinary team offers the patient individualized, round-the-clock care.
The team manages pain and other symptoms of the life-limiting illness while enhancing the quality of life for the patient and family.
Does the Patient’s Physician Remain Involved?
The patient’s physician directs the type of care the patient will receive. Once the patient is admitted to the VITAS unit, the patient’s physician determines how involved he or she chooses to be—making daily visits, continuing to be involved in developing the plan of care, working with the VITAS physician, who oversees the interdisciplinary hospice team.
Home Away From Home for Patients and Families
We have discovered that a quiet environment helps reduce stress at this time of life. Unlike many hospice facilities in the area, the patients in the VITAS unit have their own private rooms.
Coffee and tea are available throughout the day in our kitchen, and the family room is a comfortable place for discussions or a brief rest.
Reiki practitioners, music and art therapists, and veteran liaisons participate in the patient’s individualized plan of care, depending on the identified needs.
Once symptoms are controlled, the VITAS team assists in the transition to VITAS home care.
Because “home” can be a private residence, a nursing home or an assisted living community, the team considers each unique situation in order to provide the best plan of care for the patient and family.
Features of Our Inpatient Hospice Unit in Waterbury
- Unrestricted visiting hours, available 24/7 for any age or number of guests.
- Free parking in the visitor’s garage.
- Each of our 12 patient rooms is a private room, with accommodations for guests to stay overnight.
- Each room has a telephone at bedside.
- Pets are always welcome; we believe visits from our patients’ pets or volunteer pets are therapeutic.
- Patients may bring any personal items from home, including clothing, although hospital gowns are provided.
- Favorite foods can be brought in and stored in the refrigerator; a microwave is available to heat meals.
- Cafeteria service and vending machines are available.
Meet Your Inpatient Hospice Team
Our staff is sensitive and responsive to individual patient and family needs.
- The team manager oversees care in the unit.
- Our nurses are experts in assessing and managing pain and other symptoms that patients may experience as a result of a life-limiting illness.
- A social worker is a friendly and skilled listener to help provide emotional support.
- The hospice physician works with the patient’s physician and is available for pain and symptom management consultation.
- The chaplain offers spiritual support and can work with the family’s clergy.
- VITAS volunteers spend time when they are needed most.
- A bereavement specialists provides grief and loss counseling and other support for loved ones.
VITAS is Here for You
When a medical crisis brings a VITAS patient to our inpatient hospice unit, our goal is to support both the patient and the patient’s loved ones through a difficult time.
We encourage you to ask any of our unit staff whatever questions you may have and share pertinent information that may help our staff care for your loved one.