VITAS Inpatient Hospice Unit at
The Lutheran Home
7500 West North Ave. 4th Floor
Wauwatosa, WI 53213
When hospice patients need care beyond what can be managed at home, VITAS inpatient hospice units allow us to offer an inpatient level of care in order to stabilize symptoms and return the patient to his or her home setting.
Patients may be admitted 24 hours a day from any setting—hospital, doctor’s office, home or nursing home. When caregivers need a break, our inpatient units offer up to five days of respite care to VITAS patients living at home.
Our compassionate interdisciplinary teams offer individualized, round-the-clock care in units that look more like home than a facility. The teams manage pain and other symptoms of their patients’ terminal illness while enhancing the quality of life for the patient and family.
Home Away From Home for Patients and Families
Because a quiet environment helps reduce stress at this time of life, VITAS inpatient hospice units offer private rooms exclusively. Coffee and tea are available throughout the day in our kitchen, and the family room is a comfortable place for discussions or a brief rest.
Depending on the patient’s needs and plan of care, specialists like music volunteers, VITAS Paw Pals and veteran liaisons bring their services to the bedside. Once symptoms are controlled, the VITAS team assists in the transition to home care.
Because “home” for a patient may be a private residence, a nursing home or an assisted living community, the team considers each unique situation in order to provide the best plan of care for the patient and family. Patients may remain in the hospice unit while receiving Medicare-Routine level of care with a private pay agreement for room & board.
Amenities and Features at Our Inpatient Hospice Unit in Milwaukee
The Lutheran Home
- Completely renovated in November 2013.
- Visiting hours are unrestricted, available 24/7 for any age or number of guests. After 8:30 p.m., please access the unit using the phone outside the lobby doors.
- Parking is free, located on the east side and in front of the building.
- Private patient rooms offer accommodations for guests to stay overnight.
- Telephones are located in each room.
- Patients may bring any personal items from home, including clothing, although hospital gowns are provided.
- Food can be brought in and stored in the refrigerator; a microwave is available to heat meals.
- A beauty salon is available.
- Cafeteria service and vending machines are available.
- Pets are always welcome; we believe visits with our patients’ own pets or Paw Pals® are therapeutic.
- Children’s play area.
- Free Wi-Fi.
- Chapel available.
Does the Patient’s Physician Remain Involved?
The patient’s physician directs the type of care the patient will receive. Once the patient is admitted to the VITAS unit, the patient’s physician determines how involved he or she chooses to be—making daily visits, continuing to be involved in developing the plan of care and/or working with the VITAS physician, who oversees the interdisciplinary hospice team.
Meet Your Inpatient Hospice Team in Milwaukee
Our staff is sensitive and responsive to individual patient and family needs:
- The team manager oversees care in the unit.
- Our nurses are experts in assessing and managing pain and other symptoms of a life-limiting illness.
- The social worker acts as a friendly and skilled listener and provides emotional support.
- A hospice physician visits daily, working with the patient’s physician as appropriate.
- The chaplain offers spiritual support and can work with the family’s clergy.
- VITAS volunteers spend quality time with patients and families when they are needed most.
- A bereavement specialists provides grief and loss counseling and other support for loved ones.
VITAS is Here for You
We know that a medical crisis has brought you to one of our VITAS inpatient hospice units.
Our goal is to support you and your family through this difficult time.
Thank you for entrusting us with the care of your loved one.