Here are some facts and figures about VITAS Healthcare
- VITAS has 38 years of experience in hospice care and is the largest hospice provider in the U.S.
- 11,669 VITAS professionals provide care to approximately 15,671 patients daily throughout 15 US states and the District of Columbia.
- VITAS is a Founding Benefactor of the Duke Institute on Care at the End of Life, the nation’s first comprehensive institute for the advancement of research, education and caregiving for those near death.
- The authoritative hospice text, originally published in 2002 and reprinted in 2011 as End of Life Care: A Practical Guide, was compiled by VITAS Chief Medical Officer Barry M. Kinzbrunner, MD, FACP, FAAHPM, with contributions by 19 VITAS clinicians—from physicians to chaplains, and every hospice discipline in between.
- VITAS has won the Trailblazer Health Award presented by the Rainbow/PUSH Coalition in recognition of VITAS’ ongoing efforts to expand awareness of and access to hospice services for African Americans.
- VITAS Healthcare has provided $7.3 million in genuine charity care to hospice patients nationwide in 2015. This represents an average of 1 percent of our gross revenues—a ratio that few, if any, hospice providers can match.
- 155,900 volunteer hours were provided by 3,200 trained VITAS volunteers during 2016.
***Facts updated October 2016
SEE ALSO: Our Resources Section to learn more about the benefits of hospice care