Hospice Care for Veterans
VITAS honors those who served America by serving them near the end of life. VITAS offers hospice care to veterans with a wide range of terminal conditions; our teams of experienced hospice professionals are trained to understand the veteran’s unique needs at the end of life.
Call 866.791.2229 to speak with us about veteran care
According to the US Census Bureau, we have an estimated 22 million veterans living among us in the United States. Veterans make up one-fourth of all deaths today; that’s 617,000 per year.
By recognizing the unique needs of veterans coping with life-limiting illness, VITAS is able to guide these men and women toward a more peaceful ending. This is especially important for veterans who experienced combat service or other trauma, because experiences from the past often resurface near the end of life.
We Honor Veterans Participation
Many VITAS hospice locations work in cooperation with We Honor Veterans, a pioneering program of the National Hospice and Palliative Care Organization (NHPCO) and the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) focused on respectful inquiry, compassionate listening and grateful acknowledgment of veterans.
VITAS end-of-life care experts are trained to support the difficult circumstances faced by some veterans near the end of life, including financial and benefit concerns, post-traumatic stress disorder, unresolved issues associated with the stresses of military service, depression and suicide. Veterans can be referred to VITAS from the VA or by community-based healthcare providers, or they can contact us directly to discuss VITAS services.
Other key features of VITAS services for veterans include:
- A streamlined referral and admission process
- Familiarity with the VA system and how to identify and access benefit options for veterans
- Coverage of hospice care for veterans by the VA, TRICARE, Medicare, Medicaid, private insurance and other forms of reimbursement
- Coordination of care with the staff of the local VA medical center, including joint visits when appropriate
- VITAS veteran liaisons, who in many VITAS locations function as communications contacts and primary educational resources to the VA and local veterans organizations
- Referrals for additional community services as needed
- A full range of bereavement support, including grief and loss programs, support groups and memorial services for veterans’ loved ones
- Recognition and celebration of important events, including holidays such as Veteran’s Day and military anniversaries
VITAS Veterans Resource Guide
VITAS ensures that all veterans receive compassionate and appropriate end-of-life care. Our 16-page Veterans Resource Guide provides helpful information to veterans and their family members about benefits, sources of aid, websites, community groups, and Veterans Administration (VA) forms and resources. Download it now, and share it with others who can benefit from this helpful information.