VITAS Inpatient Hospice Unit at the Campus of St. Joseph’s Wayne Hospital
220 Hamburg Turnpike
Wayne, NJ 07470
This inpatient unit will be accepting patients by Monday, June 4, 2018. To refer your patient or learn more, call us at 800.582.9533.
When hospice patients need care beyond what can be provided at home, the VITAS inpatient hospice unit at the Campus of St. Joseph’s Wayne Hospital is designed to provide round-the-clock intensive comfort care in a warm and inviting homelike setting.
Homelike Facility on the Hospital Campus
Our facility is a one-story freestanding building connected by a walkway to the main hospital building. We're in Building 5, a physicians’ practice building. You’ll recognize it by its private entrance: rough stone pillars and a glass canopy over the door. The sign above says “VITAS Healthcare.”
The facility is soothing to the senses, with neutral colors, natural wood tones, conversational furniture groupings, homey touches and plenty of light passing through glass walls.
The family room opens onto a deck that can be enjoyed during warm weather. A family-size dining table and chairs invites families to celebrate their time together. Inspirational quotes on the walls enlighten visitors.
Only Inpatient Hospice Facility in the Area
This unit is unique. It's the only inpatient hospice unit in northern New Jersey. And it was designed to care for acutely ill hospice patients and their families; it is a place where clinically complex interventions can take place in a supportive and homelike setting.
The VITAS inpatient unit staff, from physicians to chaplains, take the time to talk to patients and families, and to listen. Our inpatient unit has space for family gatherings, but also offers quiet rooms for prayer, reflection and conversation.
- Visiting hours are unrestricted, available 24/7 for any age or number of guests.
- Parking is free.
- Twelve private patient rooms have their own bathrooms and pull-out sleep sofas; a loved one can nap or spend the night.
- Staff can provide a list of area hotels for families to review.
- We believe visits from pets are therapeutic. Family pets that are healthy, flea-free and comfortable around strangers and other animals are welcome. Pets should be on leashes or in carriers.
- Food can be brought in and stored in the refrigerator. If you would like to bring in a favorite dish, the kitchenette includes a refrigerator/freezer, microwave and coffee machine.
- The family room opens to a deck and the tree-lined property. The family room has comfortable seating, television/DVD player, and a children’s play area with activities and books.
- Patients may bring any personal items, including clothing. Hospital gowns are provided. Comforting items from home—photographs, music, a small keepsake or knick-knacks—add to the homelike atmosphere. Please leave valuables at home.
- There is a laundry room in the unit; please ask the VITAS staff to direct you.
Meet Your VITAS Inpatient Hospice Unit Team
- A VITAS team manager
- A VITAS registered nurse to provide care
- A VITAS hospice physician
- A VITAS chaplain who can work with the patient’s clergy to offer spiritual support
- A VITAS social worker who can provide emotional support and help with financial issues and planning
- A VITAS volunteer who is trained by VITAS to give the gifts of time and companionship
- A VITAS bereavement specialist to provide grief and loss support for patients’ loved ones
We’re Here to Support You
An inpatient stay begins with the clinical staff bringing your loved one’s symptoms under control. Patients are evaluated on a case-by-case basis, and generally admitted for pain or symptoms that are uncontrolled despite aggressive treatment. Our goal is to help the patient return home as quickly as possible.
A medical crisis brings patients and families to a VITAS inpatient hospice unit. VITAS is here to support you and your loved one through this difficult time. We encourage you to ask any of our staff whatever questions you may have. To individualize your loved one’s care, we ask that you share any information you believe is relevant.
VITAS Healthcare is a pioneer and leader in care transitions. Since 1978, we have helped patients and their loved ones cope with debilitating medical conditions.
Take the Next Step