VITAS Inpatient Hospice Unit at
2525 S. Michigan Ave., 6th Floor
Chicago, IL 60616
When hospice patients need care beyond what can be provided at home, the newly renovated VITAS inpatient hospice unit is designed to provide necessary and appropriate care so they can return home as soon as possible.
In this modern, home-like setting, our professional, interdisciplinary team assures that each patient and family member receives individualized, round-the-clock care. VITAS hospice professionals—nurses, physician, social worker, chaplain, and volunteers—manage pain and other symptoms of the life-limiting illness while enhancing the quality of life for the patient and family.
We have discovered that a quiet environment helps to reduce stress at this time of life. Each room has been designed with your comfort in mind. Homemade goodies along with coffee and tea are available throughout the day in our kitchen, and the family room is a comfortable place for discussions or a brief rest.
Features of Our Inpatient Hospice Unit in Chicago
- Visiting hours are unrestricted, available 24 hours a day/7 days a week for any age or number of guests. Please enter through the Emergency Department after midnight.
- Parking is free. Valet is also available for a $5 fee.
- Overnight guests are welcome and will find ample accommodations.
- This unit serves up to a total of 18 patients.
- Each room contains a separate bathroom.
- Shower and laundry facilities are available in the unit for family members to use.
- Telephones are located in the patient rooms.
- We believe visits from pets are therapeutic. We ask, however, that you make advance arrangements and keep these furry visitors on a leash.
- Food can be brought in and stored in the refrigerator. If you would like to cook a favorite dish, the kitchen includes a refrigerator, microwave and coffee maker.
- The family room contains sofas, a television, and a children’s play area.
- Smoking is allowed outside the building.
- Patients may bring any personal items, including clothing, although hospital gowns are provided.
- The hospital cafeteria is located on the 2nd floor and is open from 6:30 – 10 a.m., 11a.m. – 2 p.m. and 4 – 7 p.m.; vending machines are available 24 hours.
- The hospital gift shop is open from 7 a.m. – 9 p.m.
Meet Your Inpatient Hospice Team in Chicago
- An RN Team Manager, who oversees the plan of care.
- A hospice Physician, who is an expert in pain and symptom management at the end of life.
- A Chaplain, who can work with your family’s clergy to offer spiritual support.
- A Social Worker, who can provide emotional support and help with financial issues and planning.
- Volunteers are specially trained by VITAS to give the gift of time and companionship—available when you need them most.
VITAS is Here for You
We know that a medical crisis has brought you to the VITAS inpatient hospice unit. Our goal is to support you and your loved one through this difficult time.
We encourage you to ask any of our unit staff whatever questions you may have. And, to individualize your loved one’s care, we ask that you share any information you believe is relevant.