Grief & Grieving: Support After a Death
VITAS Provides Bereavement Support
Grief is a normal reaction to losing someone you love. Each person grieves differently and there is no timeline for how long it takes before the hurt of loss lessens. Hospice understands this; we know that grieving can begin before the actual death and last longer than a few weeks or months.
VITAS offers consistent and continuing grief and bereavement support to families, friends and staff while a patient is under our care and for up to 13 months following a death. Even after that time, we are always available to listen and help you work through your grief.
VITAS grief and bereavement services include:
- Home visits from bereavement specialists, chaplains and volunteers
- Bereavement telephone support
- Bereavement support groups led by VITAS Staff
- Memorial services
- Quarterly bereavement letters of support, a newsletter and educational materials
- Community resource referrals to grief therapists, community support groups, etc.
The articles listed below may also help you through this difficult time.
Helping Children Cope
Coping with Loss
Recognizing Anxiety & Depression
Losing a Family Member
Helping the Grieving