VITAS Inpatient Hospice Unit at
651 E. 25th St., 2nd Floor
Miami, FL 33013
In the VITAS inpatient hospice unit at Hialeah Hospital, we take an individualized approach to every patient we care for. Our goal is to support our patients and their loved ones through a difficult time.
Renovated in 2013, the Hialeah unit is our largest, serving 16 patients, including two private rooms, on the hospital’s second floor. Beautiful photographs on the walls add to the serenity of the unit. And because it is separated from the rest of the hospital, it offers the private, calm atmosphere patients and families prefer.
Conveniently located six blocks from the Hialeah Metrorail, the inpatient unit serves patients living in greater Miami Lakes, Miami Springs and Doral. Our multidisciplinary team—comprised of a hospice physician, nurses, social worker and chaplain—speak both English and Spanish and are skilled in the medical management of pain and complicated symptoms.
- The family room is a comfortable place to have family discussions or just unwind.
- A children’s area encourages kids to entertain themselves with games, toys and books provided by our volunteers.
- There is an espresso machine in the kitchen, where cafecitos and pastelitos are enjoyed. Families are welcome to store food in the refrigerator or prepare small meals in the kitchen.
- There is a cafeteria in the hospital, as well as a gift shop.
- We believe that the best therapy for hospice patients is the comfort they derive from their loved ones. The inpatient unit is open 24/7 for the convenience of family members and visitors. We can also accommodate visitors who wish to spend the night.
- We know that pets are members of patients’ families and are very therapeutic. Pets are welcome to visit for short periods of time as long as they are on leashes and supervised by an adult. We can even arrange a visit from one of our VITAS Paw Pals.
Additional Features of Our Inpatient Hospice Unit in Hialeah
- There are shower facilities for patients or their visitors in private rooms.
- Patients may bring personal items, including clothing. Hospital gowns are also provided.
- For your convenience, there are facilities where families may do laundry.
- The unit features a quiet room, an ideal space for rest, reflection or private family talks.
Meet Your VITAS Inpatient Hospice Team in Hialeah
Our multi-disciplinary team of hospice professionals ensures that the physical, emotional and spiritual needs of our patients and families are being met.
- A team manager oversees all care in the unit.
- Your primary physician or the VITAS physician visits daily to closely follow the patient and provide pain and symptom management.
- VITAS nurses are skilled in assessing and managing pain and other symptoms.
- The VITAS social worker acts as a friendly and skilled listener and provides emotional support.
- Nursing staff assists with personal care, including bathing and oral hygiene.
- The VITAS chaplain ministers to the spiritual needs of patients and families of all faiths, and can work with your clergy as desired.
- Volunteers, including Paw Pals, spend quality time with patients and families.
- Bereavement specialists provide grief and loss support
VITAS is Here for You
Hospice care is for patients with life-limiting illnesses. Occasionally, hospice patients may require care beyond what their primary caregivers can comfortably provide at home.
At the VITAS inpatient hospice unit at Hialeah Hospital, our specialized team provides the necessary level of care to stabilize symptoms so patients can return to the familiarity of their own homes and routines as quickly as possible.
At VITAS, we understand how important home is to hospice patients. Should your loved one require a stay at the inpatient hospice unit, however, you’ll be glad to know that we’ve created a restful, homelike environment where medical crises can be managed efficiently and compassionately.
We encourage you to ask our unit staff any questions you might have, and share any information about the patient you believe is relevant.
Take the Next Step