VITAS Inpatient Hospice Unit at
Fort Lauderdale Nursing and Rehabilitation Center
2000 E. Commercial Blvd., 1st Floor
Fort Lauderdale, FL 33308
At the VITAS Inpatient Hospice Unit at Ft. Lauderdale Nursing & Rehabilitation, we take an individualized approach to every patient we care for. We’re here to support our patients and their loved ones through a difficult time.
This VITAS inpatient unit is located in a nursing home, giving it a more homelike feel than units housed in hospital wings. Being on the first floor adds to its welcoming atmosphere. The VITAS staff of professionals has extensive hospice experience. Other specialists provide music, respiratory and pet therapy; there are also office and patient-care volunteers at work in the unit.
Fourteen semi-private rooms serve patients from northeast Broward County, including terminally ill patients from neighboring Holy Cross Hospital. Located on Federal Highway near Commercial Boulevard and A1A, this inpatient unit is very close to the beach; amenities and hotels are plentiful.
In addition to caring for hospice patients too sick to remain at home, the unit at Ft. Lauderdale Health & Rehabilitation is a temporary home to patients needing respite care for 1–5 days when the family caregiver must be away or needs a break of more than a few hours from home patient care.
Features of Our Inpatient Hospice Unit in Fort Lauderdale
The VITAS inpatient hospice unit is designed for patients and their families. Most rooms have a sleeper sofa to accommodate guests, and families are welcome to store food in the refrigerator or prepare small meals in the community kitchen. Shower and laundry facilities are available.
At VITAS, we believe that the best therapy for hospice patients is the comfort they derive from their loved ones. The inpatient unit is open 24/7 for the convenience of family members and visitors. Pets are welcome to visit for short periods of time as long as they are on leashes and supervised by an adult. We can even arrange a visit from one of our VITAS Paw Pals®.
Meet Your Inpatient Hospice Team in Fort Lauderdale
Our multi-disciplinary team of hospice professionals ensures that the physical, emotional and spiritual needs of our patients and families are being met.
- A team manager oversees all care in the unit.
- Your primary physician or the VITAS physician visits daily to closely follow the patient and provide pain and symptom management.
- VITAS nurses are skilled in assessing and managing pain and other symptoms.
- The VITAS social worker acts as a friendly and skilled listener and provides emotional support.
- Nursing staff assists with personal care, including bathing and oral hygiene.
- The VITAS chaplain ministers to the spiritual needs of patients and families of all faiths, and can work with your clergy as desired.
- Volunteers, including Paw Pals, spend quality time with patients and families.
- Bereavement specialists provide grief and loss support
Occasionally, hospice patients may require care beyond what their primary caregivers can comfortably provide at home. At the VITAS Inpatient Hospice Unit at Ft. Lauderdale Nursing & Rehabilitation, our specialized team provides the necessary level of care to stabilize symptoms so patients can return to the familiarity of their own homes and routines as quickly as possible.