VITAS Inpatient Hospice Unit of Citrus County
3350 W. Audubon Park Path
Lecanto, FL 34461
Serving Patients and their Families
The 16-bed VITAS Inpatient Hospice Unit (IPU) of Citrus County is a warm, welcoming place where trained hospice professionals provide necessary and appropriate care to local hospice patients and their families at a difficult time.
Located in Lecanto and serving residents of Citrus and Levy counties, the IPU is staffed by hospice professionals who provide a level of individualized care beyond what can be provided comfortably at home by families and caregivers, with a focus on managing hospice patients’ uncontrolled symptoms and relieving their pain.
The Citrus County IPU also offers amenities that are unique within VITAS, including an on-site chef who prepares home-cooked meals for patients and their families, and traditional “high tea” served every Friday afternoon.
The unit’s staff members take time to talk to patients and their families—and to listen. They are trained to care for some of VITAS’ most fragile patients, including ventilator patients who come to VITAS from area hospitals when it is time for extubation; the trained VITAS team ensures a peaceful transition.
Features of our Inpatient Hospice Unit of Citrus County in Lecanto
Built as two wings surrounding a central hub, the Citrus County IPU is homey and comfortable, featuring rich wood interiors and screened-in porches on both wings as gathering places for families to enjoy time together in pleasant, outdoor surroundings.
Each patient room is equipped with recliners, television and a private bathroom. Patients can bring personal items and mementos from home—family photos, music, small keepsakes—but valuables should be left at home.
The family area features a sofa, comfortable chairs and a children’s play area with activities and books, giving family members and friends a home away from home with space for rest, reflection, quiet conversations and time together. A computer and Internet access are available. In addition to the services of an on-site chef, families can bring in their own food and store it in the refrigerator; the kitchenette includes a refrigerator/freezer, microwave and coffee machine.
The entire unit is open 24/7 for the convenience of family members and visitors, and pets (on a leash or in a carrier) can make short visits if they are healthy, comfortable around strangers and other animals, flea-free and supervised by an adult.
Meet your Inpatient Hospice Team in Citrus County
The VITAS interdisciplinary team ensures that the physical, emotional and spiritual needs of our patients and families are met.
- A team manager oversees all care in the unit.
- A VITAS physician visits daily to follow patients closely, manage symptoms and relieve pain. Patients’ primary care physicians are welcome to visit as well.
- Hospice nurses are specially trained to assess and manage pain and other symptoms.
- Nursing staff members assist with personal care, including bathing and oral hygiene.
- A social worker is a welcoming and friendly listener who provides emotional support to the patient and family.
- A chaplain ministers to the spiritual needs of patients and families of all faiths, and will work with other clergy members, as desired.
- Volunteers, including Paw Pals® pet visit volunteers, spend quality time with patients near the end of life.
- Bereavement specialists provide grief and loss support for up to a year after a death.
- Staff members are bilingual (English and Spanish) to serve our diverse community.
- Other VITAS specialists are available to provide music therapy, respiratory therapy and other supportive services, as needed.
The VITAS Inpatient Hospice Unit of Citrus County provides the necessary level of care so that symptoms can be stabilized and patients can return to the familiarity of their own homes and routines as quickly as possible.
Take the Next Step