VITAS Inpatient Center at Rockledge
5425 South US Highway 1
Rockledge, FL 32955
When hospice patients in Brevard County and throughout the Space Coast need care beyond what can be provided at home, the VITAS Inpatient Center at Rockledge is designed to provide necessary and appropriate round-the-clock care in a beautiful and peaceful setting.
VITAS staff members, from physicians and nurses to social workers and chaplains, take the time to talk to patients and families—and to listen. Our 14,000-square-foot, freestanding inpatient center reassures residents that compassionate care is available for hospice patients whose uncontrolled symptoms or pain cannot be managed at home.
Special Amenities of the Inpatient Center at Rockledge
Nestled in the nature-rich surroundings bordering Brevard County’s Riverwalk Family Park, the Rockledge Center provides a serene and homelike setting for patients and their families, including two screened lanais that provide a protected outdoor environment for small gatherings, quiet conversation, meditation and prayer.
The center also features:
- 14 private patient rooms, where an interdisciplinary care team brings symptoms and pain under control
- Homelike spaces with comfort-focused amenities for families and visitors, including a spacious family area, two kitchens and overnight accommodations
- Quiet rooms that offer privacy and opportunities for contemplation
- Wireless internet access and cable television
- Unrestricted 24/7 visiting hours for family members and friends
The center’s location on US Highway 1 near I-95 provides easy access for Brevard County residents and visitors. Doctors who refer patients to VITAS also benefit from the new IPU, which accepts direct admissions 24/7 (including weekends and holidays) and offers protocols for complex and high-acuity patients.
Meet Your Inpatient Hospice Team in Brevard County
Our multidisciplinary team of hospice professionals ensures that the physical, emotional and spiritual needs of our patients and families are met.
- A team manager oversees all care in the unit.
- The VITAS hospice physician or the patient’s primary physician visits daily to closely follow the patient and provide pain and symptom management. Family physicians and specialists are welcome to remain involved in their patients’ care.
- Our nurses are skilled in assessing and managing pain and other symptoms.
- The social worker is a friendly and skilled listener who provides emotional support.
- Nursing staff assists with personal care, including bathing and oral hygiene.
- A chaplain ministers to the spiritual needs of patients and families of all faiths, and will work with your clergy as desired.
- Volunteers, including Paw Pals® volunteers and their specially screened pets, spend quality time with patients and families.
- Bereavement specialists provide grief and loss support during the inpatient stay and for up to 13 months after a death.
Why Inpatient Care?
Inpatient care is one of four levels of care mandated for every Medicare-certified hospice program. Most hospice care is provided at home, wherever the patient calls home, including a private residence, nursing home or assisted living facility. But if symptoms and pain are exacerbated, the inpatient center is a special facility staffed by an interdisciplinary team that provides round-the-clock care. Most patients spend only a few days in the unit before being stable enough to return to home and routine home hospice care.
At the Rockledge Inpatient Center, the focus is on quality of life near the end of life for patients and their families.
Take the Next Step