SQL 2016-Lead Database Administrator
|Job Title||Category||Location||Job Type||Posted|
|SQL 2016-Lead Database Administrator||Information Technology||Miramar, Florida 33025||Full-Time||04-08-2019|
Why VITAS Healthcare and What Do They Offer Me?
VITAS Healthcare is the nation’s leading provider of end of life care. We provide our employees opportunities for professional growth, advancement and competitive benefits.
The Lead Database Administrator is responsible for maintaining and supporting the relational database systems in the LINUX and Microsoft Windows environments. The Lead Database Administrator is an integral part of the Information Technology Department and is responsible for the efficient and effective management of the corporation’s electronic data. The Lead Database Administrator helps maintain highly available, stable, secure and recoverable databases. The Lead Database Administrator must create and ensure that all technical documentation, best practices and standards are accurate and followed.
- To maintain highly available, stable, secure and recoverable database systems that meet or exceed established Service Levels.
- Devise, execute, document and improve disaster recovery plans for Sybase and MS SQL Server databases.
- Devise, execute, document and improve department standard operating procedures
- To maintain a highly available and stable Sybase and MS SQL server environment through appropriate monitoring, control and maintenance.
- Maintain stable test, training, reporting and production database environments.
- Participate in a mentoring process to bring all DBAs up to a high degree of competency.
- Lead projects orginated or assigned to the DBA department.
- Participate in all phases of development projects that interact with the database systems.
- Work with development staff on the use of database tools, techniques and concepts.
- Develop and maintain standards on how to develop, test and performance tune stored procedures, triggers and SQL code.
- Recommend, develop and maintain standards to effectively monitor system performance.
- Maintain adequate backups of all critical databases according to disaster recovery procedures.
- Keep current on all new DBMS releases to exploit the new functionality.
- Coordinate database installation and testing of upgrades.
- Provide support to the corporation in handling the daily scheduled database production jobs.
- Prepare, execute and document Disaster Recovery procedures for all database systems and coordinate recovery activities with the Disaster Recovery team.
- Ensure that metrics are evaluated as they pertain to performance, trend analysis and forecasting.
- Ensure that passwords are changed at mandated intervals as outlined in published guidelines.
- Review and ensure DBA Standard Operating Procedures are accurate with operations performed.
- Verify and maintain that all databases are up and performing within service level agreements.
- Provide on-going training to all DBAs through mentoring or formal training.
- Support all database customers in a timely and efficient manner.
- Participate in Disaster Recovery and Security Audits on all database systems.
- Return e-mail, voice mail and pages in a timely manner
- Travel as required.
- Perform and assume other duties and responsibilities as may be required.
- Monitor the progress of Service Levels and assigned projects and communicate deviations to the DBA Manager
- Assist in the creation of standards and policies for the Enterprise in the use of the technology infrastructure
- Evaluate Service Level Agreements and make recommendations to the DBA manager
- Competitive compensation
- Health, dental, vision, life and disability insurance
- Pre-tax healthcare and dependent care flexible spending accounts
- Life insurance
- 401(k) plan with numerous investment options and generous company match
- Cancer and/or critical illness benefit
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Paid Time Off
- Employee Assistance Program
- Legal Insurance
- Roadside Assistance
- Affinity Program
- Mininum 5 years DBA experience with Sybase and /or MS SQL server.
- Prior experience performing database installations and upgrades.
- Prior experience with Sybase replication is a plus.
- Extensive experience with sql, stored procedure and trigger development and tuning is a must.
- Ability to develop and maintain Unix shell scripts and cron jobs.
- Working knowledge of network connectivities and interoperabilities of multi-platform environments.
- Project management skills are required and the ability to use Microsoft Project.
- Proven production support background of application databases in a 24 X 7 environment.
- Strong problem solving and analytical skills are necessary for this position.
- Database administration certification supplements the position skill base and is considered a plus.
- Ability to express complex technical concepts effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- Excellent time management and organizational skills are necessary for this position.
- Ability to work independently without supervision.
- Ability to work well with people from different disciplines with varying degrees of technical experience.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
- Associate or BS or BA degree in computer science or equivalent experience is required.