Miami, FL — VITAS® Healthcare, the nation’s leading provider of end-of-life care, is participating in the American College of Emergency Physicians’ (ACEP) scientific assembly beginning October 1 in San Diego, California. This year’s meeting marks the 50th anniversary of the organization, whose members are committed to providing the highest quality, compassionate emergency care.
The revolving door of high- and rising-risk patients, like those nearing the end of life, presents EDs with an obstacle to productive workflow and outcome goals.
“The partnership between a hospice provider and emergency physicians is critical in transitioning end-of-life patients to a more appropriate secondary site of care,” said Eric Shaban, MD, VITAS Regional Medical Director. “VITAS is committed to working with emergency departments to reduce the number of unnecessary hospital readmissions and easing the burden on EDs and elevating patient satisfaction. We look forward to future collaborations that will make every moment count.”
Below is the schedule of sessions hosted by VITAS physicians:
- Dr. Shaban presents ACEP’s Acute Unscheduled Care Model Enhancing Appropriate Admissions with the Help of Hospice
- Monday, Oct. 1 from 11 a.m. – 1 p.m.
- Manchester Grand Hyatt San Diego
- InnovatED Spotlight: VITAS physician Dr. Eric Shaban and ACEP member physicians Dr. David Wang and Dr. Eric Isaacs discuss “Improving Work Flow for Hospice-Eligible Patients Presenting to the ED”
- Tuesday, Oct. 2 from 2:30 – 2:45 p.m.
- San Diego Convention Center, Innovation Stage – Booth #1543
VITAS physicians Dr. Shaban and Dr. Wright as well as VITAS representatives will be available at Booth #1847 to answer questions about hospice and discuss VITAS’ role in emergency care. Light refreshments will be served in addition to a special visit from VITAS Paw Pals®. Attendees can also enter a raffle for a chance to win a $250 gift card toward any airline flight.
VITAS offers personalized end-of-life care plans that improve patients’ quality of life, resulting in higher CAHPS® scores. VITAS’ longitudinal care continuum has proven to reduce 911 calls, emergency department visits, critical care unit utilization, hospital readmissions, medication spend and length of stay.
Refer your seriously ill patient to hospice: Online | Mobile app | 1.800.938.4827