VITAS Inpatient Hospice Unit at
Methodist Healthcare System
8109 Fredericksburg Rd., 3rd Floor
San Antonio, TX 78229
The VITAS Inpatient Unit at Methodist Healthcare System serves as home when hospice patients need temporary inpatient care to stabilize them before they return to their homes in greater Bexar County.
Located across from the largest hospital system in San Antonio, the inpatient unit is at the heart of The Hill, on the third floor of the former Women and Children’s Hospital facility, now Methodist Healthcare’s corporate offices. There is easy access to the inner- and outer-city loops and plenty of free campus parking in the shade of old live oaks. The U-shaped courtyard under the crepe myrtles offers benches for outdoor contemplation.
Features of Our San Antonio Inpatient Hospice Unit
Inside, the VITAS unit is cozy, with comfortable sofas and love-seats, light wood blinds at the windows and original local art on the walls. Twelve private rooms, including one with a bariatric bed for heavy patients, provide the high tech of hospital with the soft touch of home. Furniture invites an overnight stay in a loved one’s room; the family room serves as guest room when a large family wants to stay.
Conveniences include the kitchen, where coffee and juices are always available. Although meals for patients are provided by Methodist Hospital, families can warm a homemade treat or fix a snack for themselves or their loved one in the unit kitchen. A notebook of local restaurants puts meals a phone call away, but the unit is within walking distance of several restaurants and hotels. Small, large and outdoor malls are conveniently close by.
Our extraordinary VITAS team welcomes guests, including children and pets, at any time. With their experience in hospice and longevity with VITAS, the team is the finest amenity our unit offers. Managed by Rebecca Hern, RN, our most experienced hospice nurse, the team boasts a full-time chaplain and social worker to ensure our patients get the physical, emotional and spiritual care they deserve.
At VITAS, we believe that the best therapy for hospice patients is the comfort they derive from their loved ones. The inpatient unit is open 24/7 for the convenience of family members and visitors.
Additional Features of Our Inpatient Hospice Unit Include:
- Shower facilities for patients or their visitors.
- Patients may bring personal items, including clothing. Hospital gowns are also provided.
- For your convenience, there are facilities where families may do laundry.
- The unit features a quiet room, an ideal space for rest, reflection or private talks.
Meet Your Inpatient Hospice Team in San Antonio
- The Manager makes sure each member of the team is responding to your physical and emotional needs.
- The Medical Director and VITAS Physicians are experts in pain and symptom management.
- The VITAS Nurse is skilled in responding to the day-to-day physical and emotional changes that patient’s experience.
- The Social Worker can provide emotional support and help with financial issues and planning.
- Chaplains can work with your family’s clergy to offer spiritual support.
- Volunteers are specially trained to give the gift of time and companionship—available when you need them most.
VITAS is Here For You
Hospice care is for patients with life-limiting illnesses who occasionally may require care beyond what their primary caregivers can comfortably provide at home. We understand how important home is to hospice patients, but should your loved one require a stay at the VITAS Inpatient Hospice Unit at Methodist Healthcare System, you’ll be glad to know we’ve created a restful, homelike environment where medical crises can be managed efficiently and compassionately.
We encourage you to ask our unit staff any questions you have and share any information about the patient you believe is relevant.