4343 North Josey Lane, Fourth Floor
Carrollton, TX 75010
In the VITAS inpatient hospice unit on the campus of Baylor Medical Center at Carrollton, we take an individualized approach to every patient we care for. Our goal is to support our patients and their loved ones through a difficult time.
The new Baylor inpatient hospice unit is in its own wing on the hospital’s fourth floor. Fourteen private rooms in warm fall colors ensure the private, calm atmosphere patients and families prefer in this home away from home. North Josey Lane, a popular destination for shopping and restaurants, offers amenities and conveniences to unit visitors. The city of Carrollton, a Dallas suburb, is uniquely located in three counties: Dallas, Collin and Denton.
Our multidisciplinary team is skilled in the medical management of pain and clinically complex care, including vents, infusion therapy and paracentesis to relieve abdominal pressure. The VITAS inpatient hospice unit is equipped with a unique patient room for bariatric patients, complete with wider doors, an oversize bathroom, and a bariatric bed and lift.
Features of Our Inpatient Hospice Unit in Carrollton
The VITAS inpatient hospice unit is designed for patients with extended families. There are two family rooms to accommodate visitors, and one of the private rooms is a suite, with a living room, kitchenette and large bedroom to accommodate visitors who wish to spend the night.
The unit also offers a children’s area that encourages kids to entertain themselves with games, toys, books and a DVD player. Most private rooms have a sleeper sofa to accommodate guests, and families are welcome to store food in the refrigerator or prepare small meals in the community kitchen.
At VITAS, we believe that the best therapy for hospice patients is the comfort they derive from their loved ones. The inpatient unit is open 24/7 for the convenience of family members and visitors.
We know that pets are members of patients’ families and are therapeutic. Pets are welcome to visit for short periods of time as long as they are on leashes and supervised by an adult. We can even arrange a visit from one of our VITAS Paw Pals®.
Additional Amenities Include:
- Shower facilities for patients and visitors.
- Patients may bring personal items, including clothing. Hospital gowns are also provided.
- For your convenience, there are facilities where families may do laundry.
- The unit features a quiet room, an ideal space for rest, reflection or private talks.
Meet Your VITAS Inpatient Hospice Team in Carrollton
Our multi-disciplinary team of hospice professionals ensures that the physical, emotional and spiritual needs of our patients and families are being met.
- A team manager oversees all care in the unit.
- Your primary physician or the VITAS physician visits daily to closely follow the patient and provide pain and symptom management.
- VITAS nurses are skilled in assessing and managing pain and other symptoms.
- The social worker acts as a friendly and skilled listener and provides emotional support.
- Nursing staff assist with personal care, including bathing and oral hygiene.
- Our chaplain ministers to the spiritual needs of patients and families of all faiths, and can work with your clergy as desired.
- Volunteers, including Paw Pals, spend quality time with patients and families.
- Bereavement specialists provide grief and loss support
VITAS is Here For You
Occasionally, hospice patients may require care beyond what their primary caregivers can comfortably provide at home. At the VITAS inpatient hospice unit at Baylor Medical Center at Carrollton, our specialized team provides the necessary level of care to stabilize symptoms so patients can return to the familiarity of their own homes and routines as quickly as possible.
We understand how important home is to hospice patients. Should your loved one require a stay at the inpatient hospice unit, however, you’ll be glad to know that we’ve created a restful, homelike environment where medical crises can be managed efficiently and compassionately. We encourage you to ask our unit staff any questions you might have.