VITAS Inpatient Hospice Unit at
St. James Hospital
1423 Chicago Rd., 6 North
Chicago Heights , IL 60411
VITAS inpatient hospice units offer around-the-clock symptom management for patients at the end of life who cannot be comfortably cared for in their homes.
The VITAS inpatient hospice unit at St. James Hospital is located on 6 North. This upscale home environment is decorated with soothing colors and comfortable furnishings. The inpatient hospice unit is staffed by VITAS end-of-life experts—licensed nurses, physician, social worker, chaplain and volunteers—who manage pain and other symptoms while enhancing quality of life for the patient and family.
Patients are cared for in the unit until their symptoms are resolved and they can return home. At that time their VITAS home care team visits on a regular schedule.
The VITAS Clinical Inpatient Team Manages:
- Uncontrolled pain
- Intractable nausea/emesis
- Other major gastrointestinal symptoms
- Respiratory distress
- Severe pressure ulcers (decubitus)
- Other skin lesions/wounds
Features of Our Chicago Heights Inpatient Hospice Unit
The unit’s family room, with its television and children’s area, invites conversation and visiting. A kitchen offers snacks throughout the day, and families are welcome to prepare special dishes. The meditation room inspires introspection and prayer.
Additional Inpatient Hospice Unit Features Include:
- Visiting hours are unrestricted, available 24/7 for any age or number of guests.
- Free garage parking is available. Late at night, security officers will escort visitors to their cars.
- Family members may stay overnight; each room has a recliner.
- This unit has 12 private rooms and four semiprivate rooms. Rich wood-tone flooring throughout gives the unit a warm, comfortable feeling.
- We believe visits from pets are therapeutic. Pets may visit for short periods as long as they are on a leash and accompanied by an adult.
- Food can be stored in the refrigerator. If you would like to serve a favorite dish, the kitchen includes a toaster, refrigerator and microwave oven.
- The family room contains a seating area, television, Wi-Fi and a children’s play area.
- Telephones are located in each patient room.
Meet Your Inpatient Hospice Team in Chicago Heights
- A team manager oversees care in the unit.
- Our nurses are experts in assessing and managing pain.
- A social worker is a skilled listener who provides practical and emotional support.
- Hospice physician visits patients daily and works with an attending physician; he/she is available for pain and symptom management consultation.
- A chaplain supports patients’ and families’ spiritual needs and can work with a family’s clergy.
- VITAS volunteers spend time when they are needed most.
- Visits from certified pet therapists can also be arranged.
- Additional alternative therapies include music and massage customized for the patient.
- Bereavement specialists provide grief and loss counseling and other support for family and loved ones.
VITAS: A Hospice Leader
St. James Hospital
Partnering with VITAS Healthcare for nearly 20 years, St. James is able to provide a complete range of options in hospice care to terminally ill patients and their families.
The 20-bed VITAS inpatient hospice unit at St. James offers hospice and palliative care, and respite and supportive care in a nurturing, tranquil environment.
The Sisters of St. Francis are invested in treating the whole patient and family as they go through their entire journey. In choosing VITAS, they found providers that mirror their philosophy of care, and we are extremely honored to be partnered with them.