Grief and Grieving: Support after a Death
Grief is the normal and universal reaction humans have to the loss of those they love. When your loved one dies, you go through a period of bereavement and experience grief that is utterly individual to your experience and yet shares many aspects with all others who grieve.
As a leader in the hospice field, we are committed to providing information, education and resources to help those who are going through a period of bereavement. We provide targeted grief support for at least a year following the death of a patient we have served. We are also committed to helping other members of the communities we serve. This website contains a broad array of informational and inspirational resources that can help anyone who has experienced a significant loss in his/her life.
VITAS’ bereavement services consist of:
- Quarterly bereavement support letters, newsletters and educational materials
- Bereavement support groups led by professional VITAS staff
- Memorial services provided in different locations
- Bereavement support telephone calls and visits by professional staff and volunteers
- Community resource referral: grief therapists, community support groups, legal services, etc.
We also have a listing of current support groups and memorial services in each of the communities that VITAS serves.
Articles on Grief and Bereavement
Children and Teens
Adults and Grief