VITAS Inpatient Hospice Unit at JFK Medical Center North Campus
2201 45th Street, 2nd Floor
West Palm Beach, FL 33407
When hospice patients need care beyond what can be provided at home, the VITAS Inpatient Hospice Unit at JFK Medical Center North Campus is designed to provide necessary and appropriate care so they can return home as soon as possible.
Our multidisciplinary team—comprised of a hospice physician, nurses, social worker and chaplain—is skilled in the medical management of pain and complicated symptoms. The welcoming surroundings at our facility help to reduce stress and enhance our patients’ quality of life.
At VITAS, we listen and support diverse cultural and spiritual needs. We have bilingual staff and VITAS is accredited by the National Institute of Jewish Hospice with staff trained to meet the unique needs of our Jewish patients and families near the end of life.
Features of Our West Palm Beach Inpatient Hospice Unit
At our inpatient unit, we offer a quiet, soothing atmosphere that is as homelike as possible. Each of our rooms is warmly decorated —much like the bedrooms in a private residence. Because a quiet environment helps reduce stress at this time of life, we have put careful thought into our inpatient hospice unit.
The family room is a comfortable place to have family discussions or just unwind. The unit features a quiet room, which is an ideal space for rest or reflection. A children’s area allows kids to entertain themselves with games, toys and books provided by our volunteers.
At VITAS, we believe that the best therapy for hospice patients is the comfort they derive from their loved ones. The inpatient unit is open 24/7 for the convenience of family members and visitors.
We can also accommodate family members and visitors who wish to spend the night. We also know that pets are members of patients’ families and are very therapeutic. Pets are welcome to visit for short periods of time as long as they are on leashes and supervised by an adult. We can even arrange a visit from one of our VITAS Paw Pals®.
Additional VITAS Inpatient Hospice Unit Features Include:
- Coffee and tea available throughout the day in the unit’s community kitchen.
- Families are welcome to store food in the refrigerator or even prepare small meals in the kitchen.
- Patients may bring personal items, including clothing. Hospital gowns are also provided.
Meet Your VITAS Inpatient Hospice Team in West Palm Beach
Our multi-disciplinary team of hospice professionals ensures that the physical, emotional and spiritual needs of our patients and families are being met.
- A VITAS physician visits daily to closely follow patients and provide pain and symptom management.
- VITAS nurses are skilled in assessing and managing pain and other symptoms.
- The VITAS social worker acts as a skilled listener and provides emotional support.
- The VITAS chaplain ministers to the spiritual needs of patients and their families, and can work with their clergy as desired.
- Volunteers spend quality time with patients and families.
- Bereavement specialists provide grief and loss counseling and emotional support for families and patients’ loved ones.
VITAS is Here for You
We know that a medical crisis has brought you to the VITAS inpatient hospice unit. Our goal is to support you and your loved one through this difficult time.
We encourage you to ask any of our unit staff whatever questions you may have. And, to individualize your loved one’s care, we ask that you share any information you believe is relevant.