VITAS Inpatient Hospice Unit at
University Hospital Medical Center
7201 N. University Dr., 4th North
Tamarac, FL 33321
At the VITAS Inpatient Hospice Unit at University Hospital & Medical Center, we take an individualized approach to every patient we care for. We’re here to support our patients and their loved ones through a difficult time
The cozy inpatient unit, located in its own space within the HCA-system hospital, consists of six semi-private rooms on 4 North. It includes a family room with kitchen and a quiet room that invites conversation and reflection. Specialists provide music, respiratory and pet therapy; there are also office and patient-care volunteers at work in the unit.
Located near to two large over-55 communities, Century Village and Sunrise Lakes, the inpatient unit serves both the hospital population and VITAS home care patients living in Tamarac, Lauderdale Lakes, Sunrise, Lauderhill and surrounding towns. There is a high Jewish population here, but in fact the area is renowned for its multi-ethnic culture and food. There are restaurants and hotels convenient to the hospital, which is on University Drive just north of McNabb. There is generous hospital parking.
Features of Our Inpatient Hospice Unit in Tamarac
The VITAS inpatient hospice unit is designed for patients and their families. Most rooms have a sleeper sofa to accommodate guests, and families are welcome to store food in the refrigerator or prepare small meals in the community kitchen. Shower and laundry facilities are available.
At VITAS, we believe that the best therapy for hospice patients is the comfort they derive from their loved ones. The inpatient unit is open 24/7 for the convenience of family members and visitors. Pets are welcome to visit for short periods of time as long as they are on leashes and supervised by an adult. We can even arrange a visit from one of our VITAS Paw Pals®.
Meet Your Inpatient Hospice Team in Tamarac
Our multi-disciplinary team of hospice professionals ensures that the physical, emotional and spiritual needs of our patients and families are being met.
- A team manager oversees all care in the unit.
- Your primary physician or the VITAS physician visits daily to closely follow the patient and provide pain and symptom management.
- Our nurses are skilled in assessing and managing pain and other symptoms.
- The social worker acts as a friendly and skilled listener and provides emotional support.
- Nursing staff assists with personal care, including bathing and oral hygiene.
- A chaplain ministers to the spiritual needs of patients and families of all faiths, and can work with your clergy as desired.
- Volunteers, including Paw Pals, spend quality time with patients and families.
- Bereavement specialists provide grief and loss support
Occasionally, hospice patients may require care beyond what their primary caregivers can comfortably provide at home. At the VITAS Inpatient Hospice Unit at University Hospital & Medical Center, our specialized team provides the necessary level of care to stabilize symptoms so patients can return to the familiarity of their own homes and routines as quickly as possible.