Partner with VITAS: Physicians
As a hospice leader and innovator, VITAS brings our services to your patients when they need us most—near the end of life.
VITAS services are based on delivering what physicians tell us are the keys to providing excellent care to the terminally ill:
- Effective pain and symptom management designed to assure patient comfort
- Care provided in the most comfortable and appropriate environment
- An automated process for updating physicians on the patient’s status and condition—customized to fit the needs of each physician
VITAS is successful because we put the needs of patients and families first. Our staff work each day to optimize patient care, to make the transition to hospice & palliative care more efficient and less costly.
As the provider at the forefront of hospice care, we are committed to quality and innovation. VITAS has established clinical protocols that serve as national hospice standards. We employ expert clinicians, from physicians to nurses and hospice aides, and then enhance their expertise with extensive additional palliative care training.
VITAS’ innovative model of end-of-life care also is reflected in ongoing, company-generated research on:
- Effective methods of pain control
- Proprietary tools and protocols, including a pain formulary, hospice-specific wound care and an electronic patient record
- Specialized care programs for diagnoses such as chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, congestive heart failure, kidney disease, liver disease, AIDS, Alzheimer’s and other neurological conditions
- Specialized training and formal credentialing of all staff involved in patient care
Our model of care results in national outcomes that speak for themselves.
Most importantly, VITAS’ clinical leadership and expertise have improved quality of life for the terminally ill by providing the most appropriate, customized care plans and effective pain management available today, with daily pain management scores recorded at every patient visit.
With one of the hospice field’s most sophisticated information technology systems, VITAS can customize reports for individual physicians by collecting and sorting data using a variety of metrics. Our information technology resources also allow VITAS to analyze more clinical data on more hospice patients than any other provider.
Services such as our national Telecare® centers are available at all times after hours and on weekends and holidays, and our online referral capacity offers immediate benefits with the kind of value that gets reflected in high patient/family satisfaction scores.
VITAS offers a number of tools that physicians may find helpful in:
- Assessing limited life expectancy and hospice eligibility
- Breaking bad news to patients and families and initiating a discussion about options for end-of-life care
- Determining clinical appropriateness for the inpatient level of hospice care or Intensive Comfort Care (continuous care) in the home
- Billing for attending physician care plan oversight services provided to Medicare hospice beneficiaries
- Comparing VITAS’ hospice services with traditional home healthcare as an option for your patient
As the attending physician for the patient(s) you refer to VITAS for hospice services, you are an integral member of our interdisciplinary team, which has overall responsibility for managing and providing hospice care to these patients.
To provide hospice care to your patients, VITAS must obtain, at the time a patient is admitted to hospice care, a certification that, based on your clinical expertise, the patient's prognosis is for a life expectancy of six months or less if the terminal illness runs its normal course.
As the attending physician, you are jointly responsible with the VITAS physician and interdisciplinary team for establishing, reviewing and updating your patient's plan of care. You will be consulted regularly regarding your patient's hospice plan of care and are encouraged to participate in VITAS' interdisciplinary team meetings.